That delicious vegetable that can be cooked or ate raw most perfect for salads and burgers. “Lettuce,” one of the go-to foods for when you are on a diet. But have you ever wondered what part of the plant family “Lettuce” belongs to or if it has any nutritious value? Well, down below, I will talk about what plant family “Lettuce” also belongs to the nutritional value or how long has Lettuce been around.
Lettuce Is A Member Of Which Family?
Oh, Lettuce a tasty vegetable that is served in salads, sometimes in hamburgers, and sometimes in other foods. Have you ever wondered what plant family lettuce belongs to and if it is nutritious?
Well, Lettuce is part of the daisy family which they are also in the Asteraceae family. Lettuce contains A and K vitamins, and its nutritional value varies. Did you know that the term lettuce means succulent leaves of L? Also, Lettuce provides value for the ecosystem and even for people.
See, not only do people eat Lettuce, but so do insects and animals. So, no matter how you eat the Lettuce cold or uncooked, it is a plant that is foundational for many food chains.
- Does Lavender come back every year?
- Does Basil come back every year?
- Does hilling or mounding potatoes increase yield?
Description Of Asteraceae Family
Lettuce has a dense pack of a small cluster of other individual flowers, which is the floret. The nature of this plant is an inflorescence also called “Compositae.” Lettuce coming from the Asteraceae family this plant family also has sunflower and daisies. Lettuce is a type of plant that also has a toxin of dicotyledonous flowering kind of plant.
Flowering plants share few of the same characteristics. Down below are a few of the flowering plants and their features.
- Yacon and several others
Features Of Flowering Plants
- Essential oils sesquiterpenes are present in these plants, but their iridoids are lacking.
- The fruit is achene.
- The calyx or sepals of the plant’s florets are zygomorphic.
- They have one ovule per ovary.
- These plants ovary has a basal arrangement of the ovules.
- Also, anthers which are syngenesious the plant’s stamens become fused and on the edges of the plants which forms a tube.
- Their tubular/disc florets are actinomorphic, and ligulate (ray) florets are zygomorphic
- Their inflorescence is a flower head.
Lettuce has been around for centuries dating back to 2500 B.C.E. The Egyptians have descriptions drawn on their tomb walls. Lettuce, also known as Lactuca sativa, is a type of biennial plant or even temperate annual type, commonly grown as a leaf vegetable.
There are also over one hundred types of wild Lactuca. Lettuce has a small stem when produced, but the plant branches will become more robust during the blooming phase, and the stem will grow—making many flower heads that look like dandelions but a bit smaller. This phase is a bolting process, but if Lettuce is growing for people to consume, it will be picked before it starts to bolt.
Lettuce has a cultivated form that may have come from an oilseed type of Lettuce.